NJSBA Family Law Section

View Only
  • 1.  Delayed Birth Certificate

Posted 11-17-2023 10:34 AM
    Has anyone filed for a "delayed birth certificate" before? I've got a client who is 21 years old but never got a birth certificate, and Vital Statistics says his documents are insufficient and he needs to file a court order. Does anyone have a sample complaint or can even tell me in which division I should be filing? Thanks.

--

Wesley Fenza, Esquire|FENZA LEGAL SERVICES

868 Haddon Avenue, Suite 8, Collingswood, NJ 08108

Phone: 856-477-3756|Email: [email protected] 

Connect with me on LinkedIn | Follow me on Twitter | Like me on Facebook

This communication is not intended as legal advice, and no attorney client relationship results without a signed fee agreement. This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the intended addressee (or authorized to receive for the intended addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply and delete the message.

• 2.  RE: Delayed Birth Certificate

Posted 11-17-2023 10:38 AM
    Wesley, give me a call, I have arm wrestled with Vitals on a similar situation and may be able to help

Deb Guston
    =============================.
    (she/her/hers)
    Debra E. Guston, Esq., C.A.E.
    Guston & Guston, L.L.P.
    55 Harristown Road, Suite 106
    Glen Rock NJ 07452
    (201) 447-6660
    Fax (201) 447-3831

I will return your email as soon as possible.  Not all emails are read or reviewed in real time.

If this is an emergency, please call the office during our current hours 8:30 am - 4:00 pm or  dial extension 25. Voice mail left at this extension will be monitored during the business day only.

Guston & Guston remains open for business. In keeping with guidelines for reduced contact, we have in-office staffing from 8:30 am - 3:30 pm Monday through Friday. We are presently scheduling in-office meetings as needed. We can also schedule a phone or video conference and can accommodate will signings and other document execution in a safe manner.  Masks are required in our office for the protection of our staff and clients.

Please take care of yourself and your family and we look forward to speaking with you and seeing you soon. 

Adoption Director, Past President
    Academy of Adoption & Assisted Reproduction Attorneys

ANGEL IN ADOPTION RECIPIENT 2017

• 3.  RE: Delayed Birth Certificate

Posted 11-17-2023 11:25 AM

Debra,

I would love your insight!  I have a similar problem.  My client gave birth at home in 2020 (during the height of Covid when all government offices were closed).  Client tried to register delayed birth with no success.  Client came to me a year later for help.  I filed a motion and obtained a court order compelling Vital Stats to register the birth and issue a birth certificate.  It has been over a year, with repeated calls and emails to Vital Stats and they just ignore me.  I am thinking of filing a motion to enforce litigant's rights against the state but I am unsure how to properly do that.  The child is now 3 and has never been to the doctor because they do not have proof that she even exists.

------------------------------
    Stephanie Albrecht-Pedrick
    Law Office of Stephanie Albrecht-Pedrick, LLC
    Pleasantville NJ
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Delayed Birth Certificate

Posted 11-17-2023 12:12 PM
    Update: Thanks to Debra's advice, I called the assignment judge. Apparently the procedure is to file a verified complaint with order to show cause in civil division naming vital stats as the defendant. Thanks Debra!